1) Qualified applicants must be at least 16 years of age.
2) Applicants must have a career interest in the field whether it is becoming a veterinarian, technician or assistant. For those who are simply interested in our clinic, we are happy to schedule a tour of the hospital during business hours.
3) Accepted applicants will be scheduled for one day only. Shadow days are Tuesday through Friday. Start time will be 8-8:30am. Finish time can be variable if scheduled in the field, if scheduled in the clinic the shadow can leave whenever needed.
4) Shadows will be observation only – no hands-on experience is available in this program due to insurance liability restrictions. Our doctors welcome conversation and are happy to answer questions and explain procedures. Exceptions may be made to the above guidelines with a specific LEMC doctor’s request.
5) During your stay at Littleton Equine Medical Center, you may be exposed to clients and horses that are familiar to you. We expect you to respect our client’s right to confidentiality. Please refrain from speaking about our clients and their horses to outside parties.
6) Please come prepared for any weather – some of the locations we visit are outside and no shelter is available. Colorado weather can change quickly- come prepared with appropriate gear depending on the season. Bring water and lunch as each doctor’s appointment schedule may or may not allow for a stop at a store for lunch.
7) Wear jeans or other long pants and tennis shoes or other appropriate footwear for the day. No shorts, tank tops or open toed shoes please!
Upon receipt of your application, we will be contacting you to discuss with you the details of shadowing with you. To fill out the application online, please click here